Monday, March 16, 2009

Hollie and Barry

So Barry and I worked together at Shoprite for years. We were in the same group of friends but didn't get too close bc when they 'went out' I wasn't of age to join. But there was this older woman (I call her Cupid now) who told Barry that I wanted to ask him out. I didn't. A few days later she told me that Barry wanted to ask me out. He didn't. It was very strange. We started hanging out more and more thinking the other wanted the other one. Lol. I went away to college and only saw him on weekends but u could tell we were getting close. Then, the terrible happened. My grandfather died. Since he commited suicide I wasn't really open to sharing that with poeople so I came home from school for about a week and just spent it at my Nan's and the rest of the family. No outsiders, you know. When Barry heard I was home he got directions to my Nan's and that was it. He didn't leave my side for the whole thing. He became a part of the family that week. We all opened up to him and he was so comforting and accepting of us all. My Mom and Nan fell for him b4 I did, I think. Haha. I look at it now and think that my Pop brought him to our family to be that glue that we lost when he left. We all know Pop would've loved him. So... From there I finished a semester at school away, but transfered closer to home bc my family needed that at the time. That's when we got really close. Not together as a couple yet but best friends; inseperable. He moved in with me and my 3 other roommates and a few months later on xmas eve he wrote me a letter saying that he was falling in love with me and gave me a promise ring to be his gf. Of course I accepted and my family was thrilled. The next year on st. Pattys day. (He must have a thing for holidays lol) I was on a Cedar Crest trip to the Met museum and he came along. Little did I know that he had our whole family (both sets of parents and step parents and both siblings) there when we arrived. Only they were hidden. He got down on one knee on the steps of the met (my favorite place ever) and asked me to marry him. When I said yes he told me to turn around and everyone was about 5 steps up watching the whole thing (and balling). I found out later that he had called my Dad to ask for my hand and my Dad took him to an Irish pub and made him shoot Irish whiskey till he was delirious. Since he held his own my Dad said yes. So long as he stood by me as I fiinished my education and waited to have the wedding til after I had my bachelors.That happened and Barry kept his promise. We are getting married this fall. I guess the rest is ancient history.

1 comment: